The Merge geoprocessing tool allows two or more vector map layers to be merged into a single new shapefile. They original input map data is not effected. The input map data layers must all contain the same geometry type (i.e., it is not possible to merge a point layer and a polygon layer into a single shapefile).
Steps To Merge Multiple Layers
- Click on the Tools menu.
- Click on the Geoprocessing option. The Geoprocessing dialog will be displayed.
- Click on the Merge tab.
- Select two or more layers from the Select Layers To Be Merged List by holding down the control key and clicking on the layers.
- Choose the layer that will provide the attribute schema for the output file. Fields that exist in layers that are not in the schema will be dropped.
- Click the Browse button to select a name and location for the destination shapefile.
- Click the Commit button.
- After the Merge is complete, click Yes to add the new merged shapefile to the map project. To contimue without adding the new merged shapefile click No.